24 Great Grove, Abbeymead, Gloucester, GL4 4QT
Tel. No. 01452 613636
Mob. No. 07929 758181
I am a HNC qualified mechanical designer with a broad engineering background. My key strengths are.
- Design of products using high tolerance machined parts, sheet metal fabrication, investment casting, injection
moulding and welding.
- 3D modeling using SolidWorks with some FEA & CFD experience, Pro-E and Radan (sheet metal specific).
- Printed circuit board layout using Cadstar and PCAD.
- I enjoy being hands on, if given the opportunity, and getting involved in prototype build and testing.
- May 2010 T191 Personal and Career Development in Engineering with the Open University
- 1983 – 1985 H.N.C. Mechanical Engineering at Gloucester College of arts and Technology
- 1980 – 1983 T.E.C. III Mechanical Engineering at Gloucester College of arts and Technology
- FEA and CFD courses using SolidWorks simulator.
- Hydraulics Stage 1 with the National Fluid Power Centre
- LabView 8.2 Introduction & Development training with NI.
- 2 day injection moulding overview course at The University of West London
- Man management/intra-personnel skills, time management and customer satisfaction courses
- Qualified counterbalance forklift driver and overhead crane operator (site and equipment specific)
EMPLOYMENT, CONTRACT POSITIONS
Sept 2017 – March 2018
Edge Energy, Pewsey Wiltshire
- Incorporate customer driven changes in to development/prototype down hole cutting tool. This included hand
calculations for static tensile strength and shear strength, selecting high strength alloys, checking tolerance
stacks to ensure assembly & applying GD & T’s to drawings where needed
June – Sept 2017
Darchem Insulation, Gloucester
- Update 2D Solidworks drawings and improving drawing layout and editability.
EMPLOYMENT, PERMANENT POSITIONS
May 2017 Formed Big Sky CAD Design Ltd.
Licensed copy of Solidworks Professional with laptop giving on site or work from home capability.
May 2015 – April 2017
Senior Design Engineer promoted to Engineering Manager
- SC security cleared.
- Departmental head responsible for resource planning, time estimation, system improvements and appraisals for a team of six.
- Initial mechanical concept designs and detail design for electronics housings to meet TEMPEST (RFI screening) requirements. Also, one off designs for training equipment. All work done using Solidworks 2015.
- Ensuring completeness drawing set and associated documentation for internal and external customers.
- Sourcing suppliers of materials, products and services for use on bespoke product designs.
- Reviewing sales information for completeness prior to quote release.
- Reviewing and improving department related quality documentation.
- Investigating implementation of new software or processes to improve quality and productivity of the department i.e. a more comprehensive PDM package or the use of 3D scanning to improve reverse engineering and assist
goods in inspection.
January 2014 – May 2015
Mechanical Engineer/CAD Designer
- Initial mechanical concept designs and detail design for tender of movable bridges and hydraulic gates using Autocad LT and SolidWorks. This also includes civil interface design and detail.
- Sourcing suppliers of materials, products and services for use on movable bridges and hydraulic gates
- Completion drawing set for our clients to put out to tender.
- Site surveys to enable design work to begin and for creation of reports on service condition of equipment.
- Creation of rendered images to present to clients.
- Writing specification, risk assessments and method statements.
May 2011 – January 2014
Mechanical CAD Designer
- Initial concept designs using Creo 2, formally Pro Engineer.
- Designing a semi-automated flow test rig
- Continuous improvement design/changes on existing product
- Completion of BOM’s ensuring compliance with in house electronic document management system
- Other duties as per Haliburton but mainly on sustaining rather than NPD.
April 2008 – May 2011
Senior Mechanical Designer
Halliburton Sperry Drilling
- Initial concept design/feasibility studies using SolidWorks 3D and it’s FEA/CFD simulation packages.
- Liaising with sub-contracts to ensure manufacturability and to obtain quotations.
- Investigating new manufacturing techniques and materials.
- Completion of manufacturing drawings.
- Designing jigs, fixtures and tooling as required.
- Completion of BOM’s using a Matrix/SAP system.
- Carry out initial build/fault find of new product.
- Liaising with in-house manufacturing to produce assembly instruction.
September 2007 – April 2008
- Initially to review, introduce and install a 3D CAD package best suited to the business.
- Design and draughting duties using ME10, initially, then after selection using SolidWorks Professional 2008.
- Design casting and fabrication in both aluminium and stainless steel, also wiring diagrams for control systems.
August 2004 – September 2007
Mechanical Design & Development Engineer
Eaton Ultronics Ltd
- Design and draughting duties using SolidWorks 2006 and ME10.
- Inspection and problem solving on current product.
- Investigation into alternative methods of manufacture.
- Implementing corporate quality procedures and, where needed, generating in-house procedures.
- Development testing of an LVDT based valve positioning system measuring to sub-micron accuracy.
- Development valve build and testing, including flow mapping and report writing.
- Other duties include, machining, fabrication and welding of jig’s/fixtures, responsible for storage and handling of flammable liquids and a deputy fire marshal.
July 2003 – August 2004
- Learning all aspect of the craft of blacksmithing with a view to set up own business.
March 2000 – June 2003
Senior Project Engineer
West Hyde Enclosures Ltd
- Responsible for inputting Customer drawings, both 2D and 3D, into Radan to produce 2D drawings and developments for sheet metal fabrication. Also producing 2D drawings for machined parts.
- Generation of CNC punch programs, bills of materials and routes and structures for manufacture using an MRP system.
- Producing costing’s for quotations to Customers. Project coordinating between the Customer, sales and production to ensure on time delivery.
February 1988 – March 2000
Senior Design Draughtsman
Serco CiT Ltd
- SC security cleared.
- Responsible for initial feasibility studies for enclosure design using pressure die casting, investment casting, injection molding, machined parts and sheet metal fabrication to meet EMC/RFI requirements for secure communications equipment.
- Completion of drawing sets, including wiring diagrams, to our Customers requirements. This work was carried out using AutoCad R14.
- Responsible for the physical layout and mechanical packaging of multilayer S.M.T. P.C.B.’s with single/double sided component placement, split power planes and copper flooding, to meet EMC/RFI requirements, using
both CadStar and Pcad.
- Other duties have included running the drawing office from 1991 to 1994, assisting in ISO9000 certification, drawing office Q.A. representative and trained internal auditor.
September 1980 – February 1988
- Design and detail of sheet metalwork, machined parts, silkscreen artworks and general assembly drawings.
- General design and detail drawing work including cable assemblies, wiring looms and vacuum moldings.
- Apprentice training under the guidelines of the EITB, with one year machine shop training folded by time periods in each of the departments. i.e. production, purchasing, stores, design and accounts.
INTERESTS AND HOBBIES
- Walking, cooking, travel, motorcycling, drag racing.
Download my CV